Dear Mini

Something I would also like these letters to capture is my experience as your mother. I have learned since becomming a parent that my own emotional needs were not met as a child and I have been trying my best to break the cycle by parenting you differently. And better. I feel bad saying that because my parents did the best they could with their parenting choices at the time. These days there is a lot more information out there about child raising and its effects.

In fact there is so much information out there that I often worry that I am making mistakes and messing you up for life! I hope you know that I am really trying my best. I often read parenting articles, books, listen to podcasts and get advice from friends. When I make a mistake, like if I realise I was being too harsh or strict with you then I will apologize afterwards and own up to you. My own parents never apologised to us growing up so even that is something new. But this is a democrasy not a dictatorship and you get to have a say. When we are having a conflict, you will come to me and say "let's talk about it" which I love, and then we both try to hear each other's points of view.

It's hard sometimes, parenting can be really challenged. There have been moments where I find myself really triggered. Yesterday when I collected you from Kindergarten, you were reluctant to come with me which was a first as usually you are always ready to come home. And recently you've been going through a phase of not wanting to go to Kindergarten. I asked if you wanted to stay longer with your friends and you said yes so then I said, do you want me to leave you here and I'll come back later, but then you burst into tears. You weren't able to tell me what was wrong but maybe you were upset at the idea of me going away. That was hard. I know you have long days in the Kindergarten because your Mum and Dad work and that's also tough on you sometimes.

We both work part time but even still you are often in Kindergarten for up to 7 hours. Lately you are obssesed with a show called "Miraculous" about a teenager who turns into a ladybug superhero. We cuddle on the couch and watch and episode or two together most evenings which is a nice little routine. I've also been reading chaper books to you. So far we have read Matilda, charlie and the chocolate factory, the faraway tree series, charlotte's web and ganster granny. I also love doing art projects with you and you are really creative.

Love you forever x

Comments